Apricot Cake

This is a favorite recipe from my Grandma Morris. I often requested it for my Birthday cake as a teenager and decided to make it for my Birthday this year. I did have to call Grandma to get the penuche icing recipe which turned out to be a fun conversation with her but a lesson to everyone out there: collect recipes before your 80+ Grandmother is going blind and can't remember where the recipes are. At least I still have my sweet Grandma with me! I love her baking advice, her witty sense of humor, and her unconditional love.


APRICOT CAKE
Cream:
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
2 eggs

Add:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp cloves
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp soda dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
1 pt. apricots - juice and all
1 tsp salt

Mix together and pour in 9x13 greased and floured cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

Penuche Frosting
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. milk or cream
1 c. brown sugar
2 c. powdered sugar

Melt butter, then add sugar. Boil over low heat 2-3 minutes, until bubbly, stirring consistantly. Add milk. Bring to a boil again while stirring, then while luke warm add powdered sugar, whisking until it's completely dissolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment