Raspberry Lemonade Cake

I grew up in the same house in Orem, Utah from age 2 until I left home for college. Across the street lived the Mickelsen's, who moved in about the same time with a 2 year daughter of their own. Melissa and I are 2 weeks apart and are life long friends. I've realized now as a mother what the saying "it takes a village to raise a child" means. The Mickelsen house was my 2nd house. Just one trait I love about them is cake on Sunday. I don't know if they made a cake every Sunday, but I remember many good cakes from their kitchen. Now I love to make a cake once in a while on a Sunday afternoon. This delicious recipe comes from Betty Crocker and is a perfect expression of summertime!

1 cup very hot water
1 box (4 serving size) raspberry-flavored gelatin
1 box White cake mix
1/2 cup frozen (thawed) lemonade concentrate - I used yellow
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 egg whites
1 container Whipped vanilla frosting - I used the extra large container
1 cup frozen (thawed) whipped topping
1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries to garnish

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, mix hot water and gelatin until gelatin is completely dissolved; cool slightly. Meanwhile, beat cake mix, 1/4 cup of the gelatin mixture, 1/4 cup of the lemonade concentrate, the water, oil, and egg whites with mixer on low speed for 30 sec, then medium speed for 2 minutes.

Bake in prepared pan for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Poke warm cake with bamboo skewer or bottom of a wooden spoon. Remove 1 Tbsp of the reserved gelatin mixture, and mix the largest portion with 1/4 cup remaining lemonade concentrate; pour slowly over cake. Cool completely.

In medium bowl, fold together frosting and whipped topping; frost the cake. Microwave 1 Tbsp gelatin mixture uncovered on High 10 seconds to liquefy. Using 1/4 tsp measuring spoon, place small drops of gelatin mixture over frosting; with spoon or toothpick, swirl gelatin into frosting. Garnish each piece with raspberries and lemon peel strips, if desired. Store covered in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment